This page was last updated 6th June 2018.
When you are using our website, United Carpets And Beds is the Data Controller.
Who are we?
United Carpets Group plc (hereinafter referred to as “United Carpets And Beds”, “we”, “our”, “us”) is registered in England at Moorhead House, Moorhead Way, Bramley, Rotherham, S66 1YY (Registered number: 05301665).
Collecting Your Personal Information
We collect your personal information, such as your name, your email address and your phone number, when you:
- Make a purchase online, in store or over the phone
- Create an account with us
- Engage with us on Social Media
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Request a carpet sample
- Request a Call Back
- Request a Measure & Estimate appointment
- Contact us by any means with queries or complaints
- Request us to contact you with product information
- Enter one of our Competitions or Prize Draws
- Review any of our products or services
- Have given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
In order to deliver our services, United Carpets And Beds needs to collect and use your personal data. Cookies are very small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit some websites.
The following is strictly necessary in the operation of our website.
This Website Will
- Remember what is in your shopping/samples basket
- Remember where you are in the order process
- Remember that you are logged in and that your session is secure.
The following are not Strictly Necessary, but are required to provide you with the best user experience and also to tell us which pages you find most interesting (anonymously).
This Website Will:
- Offer Live Chat Support (If available)
- Track the pages you visits via Google Analytics
This Website Will:
- Allow you to share pages with social networks such as Facebook (If available)
For the exhaustive list of cookies we collect see the List of Cookies We Collect section.
When We Use Your Personal Information
We only use your personal information under certain circumstances. These are:
- When your consent is given for one or more specific purposes
- When you enter into a contract with us are performing a contract with us
- When we have a legal obligation to do so
- Where we've identified this as a legitimate interest of ours, we consider that use of your personal information is necessary to achieve legal claims: to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim
- Where we must use personal information without consent so as not to prejudice preventing or detecting unlawful acts
- Where you've deliberately put your sensitive personal information into the public domain
We will, with your consent, send you promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information, which we think you may find interesting using the email address that you have provided. You may, at any time, withdraw your consent to us using your personal information for that purpose.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or post.
In exceptional circumstances, we may collect sensitive personal information, for example if you volunteer or provide us with your health data as part of a delivery instruction. If you do so, we will take your volunteering of said information as explicit consent (in that case to make adjustments for the delivery). You may, at any time, withdraw your explicit consent to us using that sensitive personal information.
Please be advised that we occasionally provide our Advertisers with aggregate statistical information about our website visitors, however this does not reveal information about identifiable individuals.
To withdraw your consent (in all cases other than cookies), please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find more details on the ICO website at www.ico.org.uk
How We Protect Your Personal Data
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
United Carpets And Beds secure access to all transactional areas of our websites using latest EV SSL (Extended Validation Secure Sockets Layer) ‘https’ technology.
All transactions are subject to real time cardholder authentication with the card-issuing bank, using 3D Secure technology provided by Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode. This password protected identity check prevents your credit / debit card details from fraud.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password so that you can access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Controlling Your Personal Information
How long will we keep your personal data?
The periods for which we keep your information depend on the purpose for which your information was collected and the use to which it is put. We will not keep your personal information for longer than necessary for our business purposes or for legal requirements. For example:
- Data relating to product orders are kept for 7 years to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- We will keep your contact information for 10 years after you have purchased our products or services in case you decide to use our services again.
- We will keep details of the address, room measurements and the products we have sold for those rooms indefinitely, without your name associated with it. This is to enable improved service to customers who may wish to purchase floorcoverings in the future at the same address.
Who do we share your personal data with?
The information you provide to United Carpets And Beds may be shared with any third-party vendors as well as Subsidiaries of United Carpets Group PLC and Approved Partnership Suppliers (APS). APS will only be relevant to those customers who tick the box allowing us to contact them in future. In the event of using a third-party vendor for the specified reasons, any third-party vendors have agreed to maintain the confidentiality and security of the information we share with them. If you do not wish for United Carpets And Beds to continue to contact you either through email or postal mail after the initial event has passed you can opt out at the time of registration or at any time in the future by contacting United Carpets And Beds by email at email@example.com.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
- Secure payment providers who support our payment processing operations.
- Google to show you products that might interest you while you’re browsing the internet. This is based on either your marketing consent or your acceptance of cookies on our websites.
- Data insight companies to ensure your details are up to date and accurate.
We will only share your data with third parties when it is required for their own purposes in very specific circumstances, such as:
- If we run a joint event with a supplier and you agree to receive direct communications from them.
- For fraud management, we may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies.
- A court orders United Carpets And Beds to share information with the police to prevent or detect a crime.
Do We Transfer Your Data Outside Of The UK?
Generally the information that United Carpets And Beds holds is all held within the UK. However, some information may be held on computer servers that are held outside of the UK. United Carpets And Beds will take all reasonable steps to ensure your data is not processed in a country that is not seen as ‘safe’ by the UK or EU government.
If United Carpets And Beds does need to send your data out of the EU it will ensure it has extra protection from loss or unauthorised access.
What Are Your Data Protection Rights?
Data Protection legislation gives you, the data subject, a number of rights in regards to your personal information.
Right of Access (Subject Access Request)
Data Subjects (that is the individual who the data is about) have a very strong right of access to their own personal data held by an organisation. This could be information held in electronic form (i.e. emails or database entries) or it could be paper files that we hold (i.e. paper records or archived files).
What Are You Entitled To?
When you are the Data Subject
Data Subjects are only entitled to their own personal data. If data about other individuals are included within your files then it is likely that this information will be withheld.
When you are acting on behalf of the Data Subject
If you are acting on behalf of a Data Subject (i.e. parent, legal guardian, or solicitor) then you may still have a right of access to information about the data subject. United Carpets And Beds would require the following to be able to disclose records to you:
- Child Under 12 (or child lacking mental capacity) Demonstrable evidence that you have Parental responsibility for that child.
- Child Over 12. Your child may be asked to consent to disclose data to you in certain circumstances.
- Adult (who lacks mental capacity). Official paperwork listing you as legal guardian of the data subject.
- Solicitor or Agent (acting on behalf of an individual). A form of authority addressed specifically to the Parish Council and signed by the data subject or their legal representative. In some circumstances we may also request explicit consent from the data subject.
Accessing the Records of Deceased Persons
A common law of confidentiality restricts United Carpets And Beds from disclosing a deceased person’s records to any individual other than the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. That is an individual who has a grant of probate (if the deceased left a will) or letter of administration (if the deceased did not leave a will – otherwise known as intestate).
If you are the personal representative for the deceased’s estate and affairs United Carpets And Beds will request the legal documentation, from you, which validates this and will therefore be able to consider disclosing the requested records.
Are we allowed to withhold information?
Yes – In some circumstances United Carpets And Beds is allowed to withhold information. This could be, but not limited to, if disclosure could prejudice a criminal investigation, if disclosure could cause mental or physical harm to any individual, or if information originates from the Court. These are known as exemptions.
Exemptions are not applied to information very often but when they are the United Carpets And Beds may not need to inform you of such an application.
Right to Erasure, Right to Rectification, and Right to Restriction
All individuals have a right to request that an organisation deletes, corrects or limits part or all of the personal information that it holds about them.
Where United Carpets And Beds is processing your personal data based on a legal power or an official authority it will only comply with one of these requests if:
- It is certain that the personal data it holds about you is incorrect
- It no longer requires your personal data for the purpose that it was collected.
In most cases we will upload your complaint to any information we hold about you so that we have a record of your request.
Please be aware that decisions in regards to these requests are made on a case-by-case basis and take in to account any relevant information required to decide if complying with such a request is suitable.
Right to Objection (Right to object to Automated Decision Making)
When United Carpets And Beds has used any ‘Automated Decision Making’ software (that is if a computer has made a decision about you without human involvement) then you have a right to ask for a human being to review the decision instead.
We will always tell you when we do use automated decision-making and provide you with details about how you are able to appeal.
How do I make a Data Protection Request?
You can make a Data Protection request by contacting us via email or post.
You will need to validate your identity (so that we can be certain that only you have access to your personal data). Please contact the GDPR Officer to arrange this.
All Data Protection Requests should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
Once United Carpets And Beds has validated your identify and is certain of your request then it will acknowledge this with you as soon as possible.
United Carpets And Beds then has up to 30 calendar days to respond to your request.
United Carpets And Beds Parish Council may apply a discretionary extension of a further 60 calendar days if it believes your request is complex or very large. We will write to you and let you know if this is the case.
Right to Complain
If you are unhappy with the way in which your data has been handled or the way in which a data protection request has been answered then you may complain to the United Carpets & Beds Data Protection Officer.
You can contact the Data Protection Officer during usual office hours at the following:
Data Protection Officer
United Carpets And Beds
01709 732 666
If you remain dissatisfied with the response from the Data Protection Officer, or if you would rather complain straight to a regulator, then you may make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) who regulate Data Protection and Information Governance matters in the UK.
You can contact the ICO by contacting:
First Contact Team
Information Commissioner’s Office
To find out more information about your Data Protection Rights then please visit the website of the ICO.
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||You sesssion ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|
|__btr_id||Cart Recovery cookie that contains a customer cart ID that can be associated with a user.|
|__btr_em||Cart Recovery cookie that contains an encoded customer email address.|
|samples_session||The association with your sample cart.|
|_hjIncludedInSample||This allows us to make improvements to the performance of our website based upon user actions.|
|__atuvc||This allows you to share certain contenton social networks|
|cookiesEnabled||This confirms your acceptance of using cookies on our website|
|_ok||Allows our live chat to function|
|_okac||Allows our live chat to function|
|_okbk||Allows our live chat to function|
|_okdetect||Allows our live chat to function|
|_okla||Allows our live chat to function|
|_oklv||Allows our live chat to function|
|hblid||Allows our live chat to function|
|olfsk||Allows our live chat to function|
|wcsid||Allows our live chat to function|
|_ga||Collects information about how visitors use our website.|
|_gat||Collects information about how visitors use our website.|
|_gid||Collects information about how visitors use our website.|
|popup_ids||Identifies the popups that have been displayed|
|bs_t_bc_||Contact identifier connecting your order with our marketing platform.|
|bs_t_||Contact identifier connecting your order with our marketing platform.|
|tid_||Contact identifier connecting your order with our marketing platform.|
|cookielaw||Cookie compliance notice.|
|PHPSESSID||Maintains a logged-in status for a user between pages|
|popupData||This maintains your popup interactions across our site|